Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Nanny bought it!"

We were in the car heading to the swings (I know; we should have walked. We were lazy today. I sent a mental apology to the environment along with a promise to shiver for at least two days this winter to make up for it) when Maya piped up "Nanny BOUGHT it!" What did "Nanny" (it's Maya's mispronunciation of Granny. Maya can get away with it because she's cute, but I wouldn't think of trying it yourself if I were you) buy? The car seat, of course, silly.

This is her newest craze. She needs to know who bought absolutely everything that she comes across. The vast majority of the things she comes across are toys - she is 2, after all - and most of them were gifts, so it gives me a warm sense of accomplishment to know that I'm raising a nice, grateful child who will always appreciate the things that others do for her. In my dreams, I know, but it's nice while it lasts. On the other hand, it can become a little irritating: "Thamma bought it!" "No, actually Mummy did. It's just a wooden spoon - they don't make wonderful Christmas gifts." And so on, ad infinitum.

Consider a trip to the bathroom, where we have to discuss the origins of the rug, the toilet paper, the soap and the towel before we can even begin to think about doing what nature intended. She hasn't yet thought to query the identity of the kind person who gifted us the porcelain throne, for some reason.

No comments: